Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Dial-Out using 3640 Access Router

Hi,

I'm looking to setup dial-out feature on my LAN. I would like users to be able to dial out from their workstation without a local modem. I'm looking to centralize the dial-out by using the 3640 Access Router. Is this possible? If so, what additional software and hardware are needed? What is required for configuration? Appreciate if someone that has experienc with this reply to my email at hoange@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES

Re: Dial-Out using 3640 Access Router

The feature you use to allow dynamic all establishment is Dial on Demand Routing (DDR). Search on CCO for DDR and you will get enough detail in the various white papers to determine which type of DDR config is right for you (there are a bunch of different ways to go about it). It isn't very complicated. Here is one excellent page on dial technologies:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/#modem

As for hardware, it depends on how many simultaneous calls you want to support. You can acually use your aux port for DDR if you just need one call at a time. Otherwise, there are async modules with port densities ranging from 4 to 32 for the 3600 series. I don't think they have an integrated modem module for anolog so you will probably need to supply some analog modems.

Re: Dial-Out using 3640 Access Router

Is your router already setup for dialin? If so then all you pretty much have to do on the router is:

config t

line x y

! x = first line #

! y = last line #

rotary 1

end

Then on whichever applcation you choose to support rfc2217 com port redirection, configure the ip address of your 3640, and port 7001. I'd recommend Tacticals DialoutEZ client. See here:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/iosw/ioft/dlout/index.shtml

Josh

Views
Helpful
Replies