cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dial-up over AUX Port

hucuncu
Level 1
Level 1

I need help on AUX-Modem-Dialing configuration !

On my local side, I have Cisco 3640 with one PRI port, 30 mica modems configured. On the remote side, there is AS5300 device but the PRI interfaces are used for some other purposes. Just to manage that device from my central office, I tried to connect 3640 with the remote side over the AUX port of AS5300.

On AS5300, I have created Async interfaces and configured necassary (hopefully) items under the aux 0 interface. I did not use dialer interface commands. Modem call was initiated by central 3640 router. However, I was not succeeded in connection. Remote AS5300 successfully identifies the connected modem but there is nothing about connectivity. "Line is up, but line protocol is down" is the answer of "show int ser x/y" command on 3640.

Am I doing right things, or should I use dialer interfaces? What is the proper way of doing such a connection?

Any aid will be helpful. Thanks a lot,

Onur

3 Replies 3

makchitale
Level 6
Level 6

If I understand correctly you want to have an exec session to the as5300 thru the modem on Aux port / dialing out of the 3640.

The easiest way to do so is by reverse telnetting into one of the mica modems on the 3640 & dialing using ATDT to the remote end. To reverse telnet into mica:

telnet (2000+line number corresponding to a modem)

say, telnet 1.1.1.1 2033, type AT, should get an OK

ATDT1408xxxxxxx

On the as5300, under the line aux 0 need the following:

modem inout

transport in all

flow hardware.

thanks, Mak.

vcjones
Level 5
Level 5

Since you don't share what you have configured, there is no way to tell what is keeping your configuration from working properly. While the AS5300 could be considered a unique beast and I have no personal experience with it, I have yet to run into an AUX port on a Cisco router which did not support dial backup. If you want a "second opinion" there is a white paper "Using the AUX Port on Cisco Routers for IP/IPX Router to Router Communications" on my web site which walks you through a working AUX to AUX routing example.

FWIW: The most common cause of problems is forgeting the "default routing" statement and using the wrong async interface number (for example, AUX0 is Async1 on a 25xx and Async65 on a 26xx. Make sure you use the right value for the 5300.

Good luck and have fun!

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

AUX port on a cisco router does support DDR so it does support dial backup as well. Here is the url for AUX-toAUX port async backup

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/aux-aux-watch.html

Also there is a step by step config and troubleshooting help with debug on cco as well for dialout using AUX port. Pl. see

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/mod-aux-dialout.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: