cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dialer pool-member max-link min-link issue

zgombos
Level 1
Level 1

What will happen with the incoming and outgoing calls when I configure the following:

Case 1:

interface BRI0

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool-member 10 min-link 1 max-link 1

!

interface Dialer10

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool 10

Outgoing calls:

By min-link 1 command I will be able to bring up one B channel.

Incoming call:

I won’t be able to call in because one B channel has already reserved for the outgoing call.

I would like to know that whether this assumption is true or not.

Case 2:

How can I reserve one B channels for each Dialer in Router1 and how can I provide two B channels also for Dialer10 or Dialer20 if needed? Is this configuration good?

Router1

interface BRI0

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool-member 10 min-link 1 max-link 2

dialer pool-member 20 min-link 1 max-link 2

!

interface Dialer10

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool 10

!

interface Dialer20

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool 20

Router2

interface BRI0

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool-member 1 max-link 2

dialer pool-member 2 max-link 2

!

interface Dialer1

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool 1

!

interface Dialer2

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool 2

2 Replies 2

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Case 1: Your assumption is not correct. Min-link is to reserve number of links for outbound call. So if you have min and max link set to 1 that means only one inbound call will be accepted by that pool members.

Case 2: Router 1: min 1 and max 2, means minumum 1 link is reserved for outbound call so alleast one inbound call will be accepted. But it can have max 2 outbound calls too from pool members.

Case 2: Router 2: If only max-link is used (without min link), it is for either direction.. So pool members can receive and place 2 calls from that interface.

You can use "dialer max-link" command under the dialer interface (dialer profile) to control the links from the users rather then spredding the links on pool members. Thats a good way.

Case 1: I’m a little confused. I really don’t understand why I have only one incoming call in both cases if I have ‘min1 max 1’ as well as ‘min 1 max 2’ configured. Would appreciate it if you can explain me how the min-link and max-link works?

Case 2: If I understood you correctly in 'BRI' environment in order to provide one B channel always for both Dialers I have to control the reservation on the pool level. However if would like to prevent the over utilization I have to control it on Dialer interface level.

Router1

interface BRI0

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool-member 10 min-link 1

dialer pool-member 20 min-link 1

!

interface Dialer10

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool 10

dialer max-link 2

!

interface Dialer20

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool 20

dialer max-link 2

Case 3: In PRI environment the aim is to provide as many B channels for one Dialer (Customer) as we want no more and no less. So if I would like to create two backup links one with 128K and one with 256K I have to do the following:

Interface s3/0:15

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool-member 10 min-link 2

dialer pool-member 20 min-link 4

!

interface Dialer10

description *** 128K backup to Customer1 ***

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool 10

dialer max-link 2

!

interface Dialer20