Views
Helpful
Replies

Dialer pool problems

whewetson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a 2520 configured with 2 dialer interfaces. Dialer3 is configured for a dial up to a remote site, and dialer4 is configured for dial in. The problem is that when I add dialer3 to the dialer pool, dialer 4 doesn’t work. Instead I get a debug that the call is rejected because the interface can’t bind. If I remove dialer3, dialer4 works fine. Is there a better way to do this, or is my config incorrect?

interface BRI0

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

no ip route-cache

no ip mroute-cache

dialer pool-member 1

dialer pool-member 2

isdn switch-type basic-net3

no fair-queue

no cdp enable

interface Dialer3

ip address negotiated

ip nat outside

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool 1

dialer idle-timeout 30

dialer string 01xxxxxxx

dialer hold-queue 10

dialer-group 1

no cdp enable

ppp chap hostname xxxxxx

ppp chap password 7 xxxxxxxxxxxx

!

interface Dialer4

description ISDN dialin

ip unnumbered Ethernet0

ip nat inside

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool 2

dialer-group 2

peer default ip address dhcp

fair-queue

no cdp enable

ppp authentication chap pap callin

Thanks

Wayne

12 Replies 12

hbaerten
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Wayne,

Do you really need 2 pools?

For a basic config, you could remove the dailer pool-member 2 from the BRI and add Dialer4 to pool 1.

Not sure if that will solve your problem though.

hth

Herbert

Hi Herbert

I have tried to use a single dialer pool; I get the same results. Could it be a bug in the IOS?

mark-obrien
Level 4
Level 4

Wayne,

You need to configure PPP authentication on the BRI interface itself. The authentication is needed in order for the dialer interface binding to occur.

HTH

Mark

Thanks Mark

I will give it a try tomorrow.

hi Herbert

i got ur logic of putting dialer 4 also in dialer pool 1.

can u pls tell me then whts the exact reason for putting a dialer interface in different dialer pool ?

prem

Hi prem,

you can use different dialer pools when you have multiple physical interfaces, and you want to reserve (or prioritize) some of the interfaces for a specific use.

For example, if you have 8 BRI's that are used for dialin and dialout, but you want 1 BRI to be available for dialout at all times; in this case you put 7 BRI's in pool 1 and pool 2, the last one only in pool 2. Your Dialer profile used for dialin then refers to pool 1, while your dialout Dialer refers to pool 2.

hope this clarifies it a bit,

regards

Herbert

What would cause the following?

*Mar 1 00:09:08: ISDN BR0:1: Incoming call rejected, unbindable

*Mar 1 00:09:15: ISDN BR0:1: Incoming call rejected, unbindable

thanks

In order for the remote user to be able to bind to one of the dilaer interfaces, you will need to issue "dialer remote-name" command.

You have 2 dialer interfaces at the moment, and the router doesn't know which one of the 2 profiles to bind to. Add the dialer remote-name command on both interface, and you should be able to connect.

BR,

Winnie

I have used the 'dialer remote-name' and still get the same binding problem.

Thanks

Wayne

Hey Wayne,

can you get me these debugs:-

debug dialer

debug isdn q931

debug ppp neg

debug ppp auth

so we can check the call setup.

BR,

Winnie

also try removing on of the pool member, and just use dialer pool-memebr 1 for both dialer profile in conjunction with the dialer remote-name commands on both dialer intefaces.

Hello Wayne,

you have to enter

int bri0

ppp authentication chap

If the phone rings, and the bri0 gets the call, there is no way to decide for the bri0 to which logical dialer interface the call should be sent.

By enabling the bri0 to read the chap username, it can decide to which logcal interface it sould connect the physical channel from bri0.

Bye

Jo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: