cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dialer wait-for-line-protocol

droopa108
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a problem where my ISP disconnects me after 96 seconds. PPP is being authenticated. Ideally I want this to be recorded as a failure and limit the amount of redials using dialer redial interval.

In doco says "The dialer wait-for-line-protocol command can be used to configure a router to wait a specific amount of time for a line protocol to come up once a physical layer connection has been established. If the call is dropped before the timer has elapsed, the call will be considered a failure"

So if I set :

dialer wait-for-line-protocol 100

Will this result in a failure? Or success as PPP is being authenticated?

2 Replies 2

makchitale
Level 6
Level 6

At what stage does the call fail? During IPCP or do we see a completion of IPCP & then the call gets disconnected?

IOS considers a call successful if it connects at the physical layer, however Redial Enhancements feature allows the router to be configured to wait a specific amount of time for a line protocol to come up before considering a dial-out attempt successful.....so if we do not get the line protocol UP at the end of the timer, the call will be considered as a failure & the redial feature will be used (as configured).

NOTE: Line protocol will be UP on succesful completion of IPCP (route installed).

Thanks, Mak.

zahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Assuming 96 seconds is generally good enough time to negotiate all the way through IPCP and forwarding to installing route, which means your LP does come up, so this *may* mean that all you have is successes, no failures (with wait-for-line-protocol set to 100). Anyway, debug dialer, debug ppp nego, debug ppp chap with "service timestamps debug datetime msec" will make it make more sense towards some realistic conclusions.

~Zulfi