cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DIALOUT - USING RAS initiated by host nodes.

joseph.frazier
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on this. I would like to do dial-on demand, initiated by host nodes on a subnet via a RAS device. I am well aware that RAS devices can dial out, and can be configured to do dial on demand. My question is, if I use DNS and DHCP, in other words, dynamically set up my IP address, how can I tell the RAS device to make the phone call, when I don't know the IP addess?

Saying this another way, can the RAS be set up to choose addresses for the destination node? When doing this, the dial out phone number would also need to be retrieved to make the phone call.

The goal here is to not have to send any special information to the RAS from a client host. The optimum would be to initialize IP identity of the remote node only when needed. When the address is available, sending the packet through the RAS would be optimal.

I know what I am asking may have solutions. Here are specifics on what I would like to do.

1. Use no RADIUS or AAA server.

2. Figure out how to a RAS dynamically get an address for the remote node, and tie in a phone number.

3. If #2 is impossible, how can a host talk to the RAS in a generic fashion to drive a dynamic dialout phone call to the host.

Could anyone shed light on any of these issues?

Thanks

JF.

2 Replies 2

sloos
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Joseph,

When dialing out to multiple remote sites via ppp calls (analog/isdn), you always need routes to tell the RAS which site to dial for a certain ip destination adress. This would imply some kind of fixed addressing scheme on the remote clients.

For Dial on demand, there is no way where a host on a subnet can hand over the number to dial to the RAS. There are 2 mechanisms:

1) dialer profiles: where a dialer interface is configured for every remote site, and via routing we indicate which dialer interface should trigger the dialout for each destination ip address

2) Large Scale dialout (although this requires a AAA server). Here the dialout information is stored on a AAA server.

None of these comply to your requirements which aren't possible in my opinion, but maybe I misunderstood the requirements. Why is it impossible to have fixed ip addresses for the remote sites?

Hello "sloos",

I have been out of town for a few days, so sorry about the late reply. I have come to the same conclusion as you did about what I am asking. I do have

several remote nodes, and am toying with the idea of having static addresses, but I do have some other issues, tied to the internals of my network. In any event, I will look at the AAA scenario, and pursue it. Thanks for your response.

Joe