Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between PA-A3 and PA-T3+

9mmurphy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I have two different applications and I want to make sure that I understand the difference between the two port adapters, PA-A3 and PA-T3+.

We are currently installing a new SONET ring and migrating some WAN ATM DS3 connections over to the new ring and adding some new sites with point to point DS3 on the same ring at both ends. This is a private metro SONET.

Application 1: Currently the ATM WAN service comes in via two DS3 connections to a FORE ATM switch. The FORE switch then feeds two OC3 connections to a pair of 7206's. The plan is to migrate to the new SONET and remove the FORE. The ATM DS3 service will go directly to a 7206 with a DS3 interface. The plan was to use a PA-T3+ port adapter, but after researching the PA-A3 port adapter, I don't think the PA-T3+ was designed for full ATM functionality.

Question: is the PA-A3 the best choice for this configuration? Will the PA-T3+ work in this configuration? No external hardware to be used, the DS3 coax will go from SONET shelf jack to the port adapter.

Application 2: Two metro sites on the same SONET ring. Two DS3's provisioned from the SONET will connect the two sites. The plan is to use the PA-T3+ port adapter in this configuration using HDLC and or PPP to create a Layer 3 link.

Question: The PA-T3+ is the appropriate hardware for this configuration? Would the PA-A3 be able to function in this configuration?

Thanks for any insight.

Mike

3 Replies 3

jezerski
Level 1
Level 1

I hate to break it to you but the PA-T3 has been EOL-ed as of September 2002. The recommended replacement is the PA-T3+.

CCO states this:

"The PA-T3+ and PA-2T3+ provide the same functionality as the PA-T3 and PA-2T3. In addition the enhanced PA-T3+ and the PA-2T3+ support Kentrox substrate and scramble mode."

HTH

-Joe

Whoops. I misread your original post. I read PA-T3 instead of PA-A3. Sorry about that. My last post may not apply to your situation.

-Joe

I think I have found my own answer, after rooting deep enough on the CCO site.

PA-T3+ has the integrated DSU/CSU and can recieve the telco service directly to the port adapter interface. This service will not be ATM but rather SONET DS3 to SONET DS3 connections. Additionally, the PA-T3+ can handle the connection as a straight serial interface or as a PPP connection.

The PA-A3-T3 is required to handle the ATM DS3 over the SONET for a WAN link to a remote ATM connection.

I quess all the answers are somewhere in CCO, its just a matter of looking long enough and hard enough.

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: