Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Difference in switched core and routed core configuration

What is the difference in the configuration of a switched core and a routed core. Would the VTP domain extend through the entire network or would there be a different VTP domain from the distribution layer to the switched core. Are the any configuration examples of a switched and routed core design.

4 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Difference in switched core and routed core configuration

think if you implement dot1q and the routed domain has ether channel in it with 802.1q support, then, VTP domain will work.

Thank you for your response.

Yes, your vtp domain will be end to end, but that is not really a good idea.

End to end networks are considered inefficient by most designers, and tend to put terrible loads on the network. If it is a large network, it is often best to stay with the dual core switch approach, leave your routing to the distribution if possible.

Happy holidays to all;

I am working in a collapsed core network design, with 6506e switches at the core and distribution layer, there is a server switch block and remote access / VPN block connected to the core. The core has redundant Sup720s running GLBP and EIGRP routing. The core switches are the VTP server connected through a port channel link with redundant 4port-GIGE trunks connecting the distribution, server block, and remote access / VPN block to the core. The connection to off network resources is through a redundant links from the dual core to a 7202VXR. All ACLs and policy statements are located at the core. With GLBP coresw1 is the default path for the odd Vlans and the coresw2 routes for the even Vlans. I do see a define traffic pattern with traffic predictability in case a core switch goes down. I asked my initial question because I have always been taught to use a switch core and could not see the benefit of a routed core. Even after reading tons of documentation on the configuration of the hareware, I was hoping there might be a document that would describe the benefits of a routed Core. The benefits that I do see is a very defined traffic pattern with an added ease of troubleshooting STP and multicast issues.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content