cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Different input/output power in a 6509-E with 2 6000W power supply configured in redundant mode

Carlos T
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I noticed a system log in a 6509-E switch with 2 AC 6000W power supply configured in redundant mode.

Jan 20 23:41:54: %C6KPWR-SP-4-PSNOREDUNDANCY: Power supplies are not in full redundancy, power usage exceeds lower capacity supply

When I check the in/out power capacity provided by each power supply I noticed is diferent between each other, when I think because of the redundant mode configured and the same type of power supplyes, the provided output power by both of them must be the same value.

Has anyone seen this behavior before? And as a log is being present Could it produce any impact in the future?

------------------ show power ------------------

system power redundancy mode = redundant
system power total =     5771.64 Watts (137.42 Amps @ 42V)
system power used =      2584.68 Watts (61.54 Amps @ 42V)
system power available = 3186.96 Watts (75.88 Amps @ 42V)
                        Power-Capacity PS-Fan Output Oper
PS   Type               Watts   A @42V Status Status State
---- ------------------ ------- ------ ------ ------ -----
1    WS-CAC-6000W       2671.20 63.60  OK     OK     on
2    WS-CAC-6000W       5771.64 137.42 OK     OK     on

------------------ show environment ------------------

power-supply 1:
  power-supply 1 fan-fail: OK
  power-supply 1 power-input: AC low
  power-supply 1 power-output-mode: low
  power-supply 1 power-output-fail: OK
power-supply 2:
  power-supply 2 fan-fail: OK
  power-supply 2 power-input: AC high
  power-supply 2 power-output-mode: high
  power-supply 2 power-output-fail: OK

2 Replies 2

sridsdale
Level 1
Level 1

The WS-CAC-6000W PSUs have dual 16 amp inputs. Looks like power supply one only has 1x16A input and power supply 2 has 2x16A inputs.

So the system can run upto the power provided by PS2 but as soon as the required power goes over the level PS1 can provide you'll get the error in the logs as PS1 won't cope if PS2 fails.

You should check the power feeds going into PS1, if it should have dual inputs then you have a problem with one of them.

HTH

Stuart.

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi.

I noticed a system log in a 6509-E switch with 2 AC 6000W power supply configured in redundant mode.

Jan 20 23:41:54: %C6KPWR-SP-4-PSNOREDUNDANCY: Power supplies are not in full redundancy, power usage exceeds lower capacity supply

When I check the in/out power capacity provided by each power supply I noticed is diferent between each other, when I think because of the redundant mode configured and the same type of power supplyes, the provided output power by both of them must be the same value.

Has anyone seen this behavior before? And as a log is being present Could it produce any impact in the future?

------------------ show power ------------------

system power redundancy mode = redundant
system power total =     5771.64 Watts (137.42 Amps @ 42V)
system power used =      2584.68 Watts (61.54 Amps @ 42V)
system power available = 3186.96 Watts (75.88 Amps @ 42V)
                        Power-Capacity PS-Fan Output Oper
PS   Type               Watts   A @42V Status Status State
---- ------------------ ------- ------ ------ ------ -----
1    WS-CAC-6000W       2671.20 63.60  OK     OK     on
2    WS-CAC-6000W       5771.64 137.42 OK     OK     on

------------------ show environment ------------------

power-supply 1:
  power-supply 1 fan-fail: OK
  power-supply 1 power-input: AC low
  power-supply 1 power-output-mode: low
  power-supply 1 power-output-fail: OK
power-supply 2:
  power-supply 2 fan-fail: OK
  power-supply 2 power-input: AC high
  power-supply 2 power-output-mode: high
  power-supply 2 power-output-fail: OK

Hi Carlos,

As per the message %C6KPWR-SP-4-PSNOREDUNDANCY following things can be taken into account to overcome any issue in future.

Logs explains as  Power supplies are not in full redundancy,power usage exceeds lower capacity supply.

Explanation: This message indicates that the two power supplies in the system have different output ratings. Current power usage exceeds the capacity of the lower-rated power supply. If the higher-rated power supply fails, the  lower-rated power supply will not be able to support all modules that are  currently powered up.

Recommended Action: To ensure that the system power supplies are optimally  redundant,use power supplies with identical output ratings or reduce system  power consumption.

Hope it helps out your query !!

If helpful do rate the valuable post.

Regards

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: