cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

disable/filter only certain events and alarms with dfm/vhm

bphelps
Level 2
Level 2

Is there away to ignore events and alarms for certain events/objects? For example, I have a PRI interface on a router that the DFM complains is not up, is flapping, and otherwise unstable, stating "Interface OperationalyDown". The PRI is functioning normally, and I don't want to have to sift through all these messages saying something to the contrary. How can I filter or altogether stop this?

4 Replies 4

beth-martin
Level 5
Level 5

This is absolutely possible to filter the events based on your interests. You can customise the reports on the DFM by, mentioning what all events/alarms you are intreseted in and then you get messages only for those events alone. This is done on the Fault History drop-in. Fault History is installed after the DFM is installed. All the events in the database are stored in the Fault History. Hence, you can select only the once you like to have in the Fault History drop-in. Hope this answers your question.

I have configured the DFM mail notification adapter to send mail and SMS for eventName = "OperationalException" and aggregates = TRUE.

My problem is that if a device goes down, DFM also loses contact with all devices behind the first one, when there are no redundant links.

This generates lots of mails, and makes SMS notification almost useless.

From my point of view, only the first device is the real problem, and alarms from the network behind the unresponsive device are just symptoms.

However, DFM classifies all "unresponsive" states as compound alarms.

How can this be solved ?

DFM detects how the Cisco devices are connected, so I think it should be possible.

Closest to the customer, I also have non-Cisco devices which are monitored with ICMP only. Is it possible to tell DFM which devices these are connected to and hence depend on ?

I guess I meant alerting - how can you customize alerting to not send messages for certain events. Basically, I know what I don't want to see, I want to stop receiving mail for telling me things aren't working when I know they are working. I know I could write rules on my email client to filter these, but then everyone who receives these messages would have to do that too, and that doesn't work well. Then everyone starts ignoring the messages, or spends a lot of time picking through useless messages to find the real problems.

soniya
Level 1
Level 1

There are different ways of ignoring alarms and events.

If you don't want to see certain kind of alarms in the monitoring console you can use filters as explained in

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/dfm/dfm1_2/user_gd/common.htm#50807

or

Changing Your Subscription Profile

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/dfm/dfm1_2/user_gd/common.htm#87462

or

Another way is forming a group of interfaces and setting the thresholds for these groups so that the alarms are not generated. For the case you mentioned you can form a group with all the PRI interfaces and then set the Link Trap Threshold to 0 in the polling and thresholds window. Now set the priority of the group to highest. This way you can prevent the alarms from being generated.You can find more information about creating groups at

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/dfm/dfm1_2/user_gd/groups.htm

Thanks,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: