cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

disable SNMP Write?

v-yelmene
Level 1
Level 1

I need to disable SNMP Write. I have tried to use " * " in place of default public string, but every time I "save" the change it defaults back to public.

Does anyone know how to disable SNMP Write in ANI discovery, or RME?

thanks,

Vince

5 Replies 5

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

In Campus Manager, on-line help mentions that "If you do not specify the write community string for the specific target, the default value, public is used". So, if your RW string is not public, it will not cause any problems since the strings would not match any way.

I guess I should have elaborated. I would like to prevent SNMP Write queries. We are getting SNMP failures in our device logs because we can't turn off SNMP write.

Getting SNMP failuers from RME or Campus or both?. If RME, then add the device without the RW strings in the inventory.

I was told by TAC engineer adding " * " to write community string in ANI SNMP settings would remove that field. Everytime ANI discovery is ran is when we see SNMP failure messages in device logs.

The reason to use Cisco Works was the ability to generate inventory etc. without having to manually keep track of all devices. If we have to list all devices manually, that deters us from using the product. All the information Cisco Works provides we have been already gathering manually. At this point, the manual process seems more expeditious than maintaining the CW application. I truely appreciate your time and help, but if we must maintain the device list in CW manually, that doesn't help us much. We have been doing that prevoiusly and was looking for a way to maintain our device list automatically.

There is no mention of "*" in the on-line help to be used in order to remove the write string. You can import using .csv with only RO strings into RME and then do a sync with Campus.