Replies

disabling dialer routes when there is no active calls on dialer interface

bhaskarkss
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Sir,

We have configured static routes for dialer interfaces as

"ip route 10.30.240.64 dialer0"

Now irrespective of the dialer interface has any active call or not this route is always available in my routing table because show interface dialer0 shows "Dialer 0 up (spoofing) line protocol up (spoofing)" even when there is no active call made.

My requirement is to ensure that the static dialer routes available only when my dialer interface is making active call with remote users and if there is no call is active means when ever my dialer interface shows "dialer 0 up (spooring) line protocol up (spoofing) on the dialer interface the static route to dialer0 should be removed from the routing table.

Regards,

Zakir

4 Replies 4

vcjones
Level 5
Level 5

That is the way dialer interfaces work. To get around the problem, you need to use a routing protocol to detect when the links are up. Then you can either advertise the desired routes across the dialed link, defining them on the far side router, or you can point the static routes at a destination that can only be learned if the dial link is up. Either way, you must run a routing protocol because the interface does not report the actual state of the dial up link.

good luck and have fun!

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

This is correct. The statics will pop-up as host routes in the routing tables of other routers when you run eigrp or ospf between the ISDN router and the rest. Do not use RIP, it is too slow.

Regards,

Leo

horst.wagner
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

if you want to use it for dialin, that means if you only want to see the static route when the respective user or router dials in the network, you can realise this with a Tacacs Server, who can download static routes to the router for the time the user has dialed in.

good luck

Horst

If you have a recent IOS image you can use the "track" command. You can monitor the protocol in the interface doing something like this:

HTML clipboardHTML clipboard

track 10 interface Dialer0 ip routing
  delay down 5 up 30

track 11 interface Dialer1 ip routing
  delay down 5 up 30

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer0 track 10
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer1 track 11

If the interface is disconnected you should have:

1841-gia#sh track 10
Track 10
Interface Dialer0 ip routing
IP routing is Down (no ip addr)
1 change, last change 00:43:32
Delay up 30 secs, down 5 secs
Tracked by:
STATIC-IP-ROUTING 0

1841-gia#sh track 11
Track 11
Interface Dialer1 ip routing
IP routing is Up
1 change, last change 00:43:33
Delay up 30 secs, down 5 secs
Tracked by:
STATIC-IP-ROUTING 0

In the routing table you will have only the interface connected. I use this for dual ISP connections. Let me know if this help in your configuration too.

regards
Gianrico Fichera
ITESYS SRL
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: