cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Display Serial Number

cobrien
Level 1
Level 1

I just need to remotely check the serial number which matches the sticker on the outside of the router. show diag and show ver give me the board number but it doesn't match what is printed on the outside of the router.

4 Replies 4

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is no way to get the serial number of the router via ios command. sh diag will give you the serial number of individual card/module but not the router chassis.

vkasacavage
Level 1
Level 1

Here is a quick tip, once you get the information....(you will need someone to actually look at the label on the box)....you can enter that information in SNMP variables and poll for those variables when you want it.

for example

snmp-server chassis-id serial-number

enter your serial number in the serial-number field....please note that according to cisco documentation, some routers such as the 7000 series are prepopulated with the serial number as the chassis-id. You can try polling this field first to see if it is already populated.

HTH,

Victor

That is a great call. I will make that part of my stardard config in the future. Thanks for the help.

Frederic Vanderbecq
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is no automatic way to discover the serial number of the router (no show command). One way to go around this would be to configure the snmp-server chassis-id, contact or location to add the serial number in the config. That way, you can retrieve it remotely.