Views
Helpful
Replies

Distance Vector -- Hold down timer question

per.nielsen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there

Now with RIP which is using hold-down timers, how does it remember the original routes metric ???

When we have a change in the topolgy a triggered update will be sent out and it will poison the route and a hold-down timer will be started

The only way to remove the hold-down timer is if it expires or if the original routes comes back up OR if a new route to the destination is received with a BETTER metric than the original installed route,

So How does RIP remember the original metric ??????

cheers

per

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In newer versions of code,, it's show ip rip database. In older versions, there's no separate RIP database; all the information RIP has, it stores in the RIB. I don't know of any command to see the "previous metric" stored in the RIB with the routes

HTH

Russ.W

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

answanso
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you are talking about the metric, RIP by design should know that it's metric is hop count =) If you are talking about the cost to arrive at a network, then the cost is there with the orignal installed route until the holddown timer expires, so it can "remember" and compare it during that holddown time period and then it is either aged out or replaced when the holddown timer is removed.

I'm aware of the metric is hopcount

But normally when you have a change in your topology

you poision the route and send a trigger update and the router will start the hold down timer,

when you look in the routing table for the route in Hold down yon dont see the hop count anymore, so where does it keep the information about the original Metric. how can I display it

thanks per

RIP has a database which operates like the EIGRP database, all info pertaining to RIP routes are kept there. When a RIP route is held down it is marked as held down in the database and therefore not used in the routing table

I'm fully aware that i keep the previous Metric associated with route.

I want to be able to view the database is that possible

???

cheers

per

In newer versions of code,, it's show ip rip database. In older versions, there's no separate RIP database; all the information RIP has, it stores in the RIB. I don't know of any command to see the "previous metric" stored in the RIB with the routes

HTH

Russ.W