cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Distances for singlemode fiber optic cable...

h-oliveros
Level 1
Level 1

Does the singlemode fiber work for distances less than 500 mts using 1000BaseLX/LH GBICS...?....I am not sure if I can only use this kind of fiber for distances greater than 550 mts....

5 Replies 5

fullerms
Level 1
Level 1

This command should give the IP address for a given MAC adddress

sh ip arp H.H.H

Of course, tools will automate the process and save you a lot of time.

fareeduddin
Level 1
Level 1

I've mostly heard that single mode fiber is used for longer distances ( a few KMs ) where as multimode is used for shorter distances. Not sure though.

Fareed

fullerms
Level 1
Level 1

I feel that distance limitations for any media are meant to be the MAXIMUM, unless there is a specific reference to minimum distances. SM fibre should work at the distances you have mentioned, and can go upto the rated distances.

Suryakant Shant
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The following link gives the distance specifications used by SMF and MMF in GBICs

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat5000/cnfg_nts/ethernet/5399_01.htm#xtocid7

Usually, SMF is used for longer distances where as MMF is used for shorter distances. Ultimately it depends on the light source used to carry the data. SFM usually usef laser and MMF uses LED light source.

The link sshant has provided is an excellent reference for your question.

Note that further up in that same document, it states that for the WS-G5487 1000BASE-ZX GBIC, you would need an optical attenuator for short distances. ("Short" in this case means less than 25 kilometers! The ZX is designed for *long* hauls.)

There is no such concern noted for the WS-G5486 1000BASE-LX/LH GBIC, so you should be fine.

However, if you're using multimode fiber optic cable with your GBIC, read the note about mode-conditioning patch cords.

In fact, read the whole thing. It's a pretty comprehensive treatment. (OK, you can probably skip at least most of the "Translated Safety Warnings".)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: