cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DLSW version 2 backward compatibility

v.kanjana
Level 1
Level 1

I did quite a few dlsw connections. My latest dlsw which giving me problem is from a cisco 2612 ios 12.2(2t) and cisco 2513 ios 11.2(16), or another word dlsw version 2 and dlsw version 1. According to debug dlsw peer, the 2513 does not receive any response for a CAP_EXG from the 2612. Is this a compatibility issue ? Thanks, vic.

4 Replies 4

rsissons
Level 5
Level 5

Although DLSW V2 is backwardly compatible with V1, there are some issues in running with 2 such different versions of IOS. If you experience any problems, the first thing the developers advise is to run the same version of IOS, and preferably a current maintenance version, on both the DLSW peering routers. It is not possible to test new versions of code with all existing versions, so, internal testing is confined to the same version.

One of the main changes was the introduction of the UDP unicast feature. This can cause DLSW traffic which passes through a firewall to fail.

See the following URL for more information -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk331/tk336/technologies_tech_note09186a0080093eca.shtml

Thanks for the response. After I failed the dlsw tcp encap, I tried the same dlsw pair but with "fst" encap., this time the dlsw peer stay connected. I asked the SNA folk to do their testing, they could log on to maiframe OK, but (print) data would not stay up at all, they said circuit was too dirty. This is a new multi-point (Newedge) frame-relay with 64 kb cir on this leg of the connection. Ping achieved only 97-98% successfull. My Eigrp would not even stay up, the neighbour showed up for a short time, then drop. (By the way, I use static route for my dlsw). I will pursue the circuit set up with SBC/Newedge, I believe that was the root cause of the problem. If you have any ideas to suggest I would be very much appreciated.

An extended ping to the remote peer address, using the local peer address, as the source is the best way to test for reliability at the IP level. If it is not reliable, then neither will be the DLSW peer connection.

The problem has been fixed, by the phone company. They said they changed the NRT from VBR to UBR. I don't know what it was, but just like to document it here. Thanks.