Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS is not working when remote access by 3745

Ali Koussan
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I have 3745 access router with basic remote access configuration.

remote users PC is configured with static IP address and DNS .

the problem is : when remote user connect to the network , he can access any server by IP address ,but not by name !!!

The DNS server is working fine.We tried to use D-link remote access server with basic configuration,every thing works fine , but with cisco router the remote users cannot resolve servers name and thus cannot access the exchange server for example.

the below is the onfiguration of the router , it is very basic , can anyone help me in this ....

do I need to add any commands ?

hostname PTK-3745

!

enable password

!

username misejh password xxxxx

clock timezone GMT+3 3

username xxxx password xxxxx

interface FastEthernet1/0

ip address x.x.x.143 255.255.0.0

speed 100

full-duplex

interface Group-Async1

ip unnumbered FastEthernet1/0

encapsulation ppp

async mode interactive

ppp authentication pap callin

group-range 33 40

!

ip classless

line con 0

line 33 40

timeout login response 300

modem InOut

transport preferred none

transport input all

transport output none

autoselect during-login

autoselect ppp

line aux 0

line vty 0 4

password xxx login

!

end

4 Replies 4

hbaerten
Level 4
Level 4

Can the remote user ping the DNS server? If not, what does a traceroute show?

Can the router ping the DNS server? If not, does it have a route towards the DNS server?

hi,

actually , YES the remote user can ping the DNS server and anything in the network.The router Also can.

the network we have is a LAN with only one router which is this one for remote access so no need for routing between the DNS and the router.

If you say it works with another access server then it has to be something like dns being blocked on the cisco... Do you have any access-lists defined on the router?

hi,

no I dont have any access list or anything that may block DNS.

but I start thinking of the IOS it self , It could have a bug !!!I have checked the bug in IOS 12.2(8r)T2 ,I found some bugs related to DNS but I'm not sure if my case is included with theses bugs. please have a look on it ..use the bug tool ,then serach bu software realse ,12.2 (8) T2

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: