Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

DNS problem for dial in users

Hello all,

I have set up DNS on my cisco3640 for all dial in users with the following commands :

ip domain-name mydomain.local

ip name-server 1.1.1.1

when i dial in i can see that my laptop picks up the dns server address but i still have to type the full domain name (i.e my_server.mydomain.local) before i can ping any network objects. I was hoping i would only have to 'ping my_server' and the cisco would add the rest.

However, on the cisco all i have to type is 'ping my_server'. How can i make it so it will append dns traffic it recieves from the laptop?

I need to do this as i am running lotus notes and it can not find the servers because dns will not resolve just 'my_server'. i cannot change anything on the domino servers as we are mid migration and many sites depend on the server names remaining the same.

am i missing a command or something. If i can just get the cisco to add the end 'mydomain.local' all will presumably run ok,

thanks in advance,

richard

1 REPLY

Re: DNS problem for dial in users

Hi,

We cann't enable dns server services on the router. When the router wants to assigned ip address to remote dial in user, it will request dhcp server for ip address. In dhcp server you configure dns, domain etc...

All parameters are sent to laptop , when the connection has been established.

interface Group-Async1

ip unnumbered Ethernet0

encapsulation ppp

async mode interactive

peer default ip address dhcp

!

ip dhcp-server 192.168.1.10

// this server is assigning ip add to dial in user Dns,domain parameters has to be set in this service//

!

line 1

autoselect ppp

login local

modem InOut

modem autoconfigure discovery

transport input all

speed 19200

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content