Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

dns-server / dhcp cisco 1700

Hi,

I wonder if i may run a few questions past you guys. We have a Cisco 1700 at one of our sites which is supposed to be managed but due to problems with the third party company i had to go there to perform some work.

I wanted to add in a dns server ip. Because i don't have the enable secret (Third PTY won't tell us) i used the break command normally used for password recovery. then once in used "copy start run".

Q. can i make config changes this way, save the changes then switch the config-register back and reload?

I managed to make the changes - Dhcp pool - dns-server ip's, right? changed the config-reg back and reloaded. No connectivity. anyway i messed around with different ip's eventually put it back to to original powered of for 5 mins and on again and it was ok.

Q: have i missed something out?

Q: could reloading or powering off and on to quickly affect thigs?

Q: Could the router be downloading it's config or something additional from a TFTP server? Is there anything i can check to confirm this on the config?

This is the dns part of the config all i want to do is change 1.0.84.187 for 84.33, should be simple?

ip dhcp pool 0

network 172.16.0.0 255.255.0.0

default-router 172.16.0.15

dns-server 1.0.84.8 1.0.84.187 158.152.1.43 158.152.1.58

domain-name parkside.net

lease infinite

Q: Is this part saying that 1.0.84.187 and 158.152.1.43 are not being used for dns?

no ip domain lookup

ip name-server 1.0.84.187

ip name-server 158.152.1.43

ip cef

no scripting tcl init

no scripting tcl encdir

Sorry i know thats long winded. Any help on any part of my problem would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

J mac

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
3 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: dns-server / dhcp cisco 1700

Hello,

check for any lines starting with ´boot´ in the upper part of the configuration, it is very well possible that the router is configured to boot a specific file, or from a TFTP server.

Regarding the change of the DNS server IP address, in DHCP pool configuration mode, first delete the existing line:

no dns-server 1.0.84.8 1.0.84.187 158.152.1.43 158.152.1.58

and reenter it:

dns-server 1.0.84.8 1.0.84.33 158.152.1.43 158.152.1.58

The DNS servers specified with the ´ip name-server´ command are used for non-DHCP clients.

Regards,

Nethelper

Thanks so much thats very helpful indeed.

Hi,

there are not any boot commands only the

boot-start-marker

boot-end-marker

Am i right in thinking i would see a boot command/s inside the markers and as i don't and "boot" is not mentioned anywhere else in the config that this router is using it's stored config and not getting one tftp'd.

Many thanks

J mac

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.