cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do I need a router if I plan to have multiple VLANs?

ravi.malghan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi: I have a flat switched network with 3 edge switches, all connected to a core switch. I have a single VLAN. The users are connected to the edge switches and servers are connected to the core switch. If I plan to have two VLANs, one for the servers and another for all the users, will I need a router in the network to route traffic from one VLAN to the other?

Thanks

Ravi

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If PIX can support trunking and have multiple internal interface, you can use that PIX to route for your new vlans. If not, you need a router that will have at least one fastethernet that will support trunking and use router on a stick.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

Yes, you need a L3 device that will handle the routing between vlans and from these vlans to other networks.

Right now, I have the core switch connected to a PIX fw and all the users have the PIX as their default gateway.

1. where should the router be placed? If I have two VLANs, will I need the router to have two interfaces with each interface in different VLANs?

Thanks

Ravi

If PIX can support trunking and have multiple internal interface, you can use that PIX to route for your new vlans. If not, you need a router that will have at least one fastethernet that will support trunking and use router on a stick.