Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Do I need spanning tree on for this setup?

Hello,

we have four C3524 switches (A,B,C,D)connected with gigabit interfaces: A-B, A-C, and B-D. Do I need to have spanning tree enabled with this setup since there is no loop?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES

Re: Do I need spanning tree on for this setup?

You don't need it.

You don't need it. However, I suggest that you consider always running it between switches anyway. This is a bit of insurance that you (or whoever is looking at the switches later on down the road) won't inadvertently create a loop when they add something to it one day.

My advice: Always run spanning tree on uplink ports, as a rule.

Thanks for the info. I will keep it running. The problem I was having has not occured since last week (network connectivity would halt for about 30 seconds while one fast-ethernet port cycled through the spanning-tree states [different port each time it happened, usually once per day]). Perhaps I should be turning the portfast option on for all host-connected ports?? I will keep reading...

Thanks again!

Absolutely! Portfast is a MUCH better option than simply disabling spanning tree. With Portfast enabled, STP will simply go directly from the 'blocking' state to the 'forwarding' state. You can do this safely for each node that needs relatively quick access to the network upon boot-up. I once had to do this for thin clients that took about 20 seconds to boot-up. Because STP takes on average 50 seconds to reach the 'forwarding' state, they were not getting DHCP leases because of it.

Views
Helpful
Replies