Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

ron

Does a 2600 router support BGP?

Does a 2600 router support BGP? I am looking at doing this with my T provider. I have 2 2600 routers, I will have a T going to each. I want the provider to be able to automatically sense if one or the other is down and reroute traffic accordingly. I have been told BGP is the way to do this?

Thanks

Ron

3 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Does a 2600 router support BGP?

Yes, you can run BGP on a 2600 router however the 2610 etc only support up to 64 Meg memory which would not be enough for the full internet routing tables. The 2620 will support 128 Meg.

While the 2600s will support BGP, with the caveats mentioned above, if you are doing this through a single provider, you may not need BGP. You could do this via floating static routes or another, simpler routing protocol. Talk to your provider before making a decision and see how they have implemented this with other customers.

Silver

BGP support is not a problem, but you need to design your solution carefully to get all the benefits. You do not need to run defaultless to get the availability benefits of BGP, but you will find that in general you must make a choice between availability and load sharing. Whichever you choose make sure it's working in both directions (incoming and outgoing, another common oversight). There is a brief white paper on my web site reviewing the many options for multihomed ISP connectivity you might also find interesting.

Good luck and have fun!

Views
Helpful
Replies