cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does the 3550 do layer 3.

tmcmillion
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to vlans and trying to determine my needs for equipment. I have on order 2 ws-c3550-24-smi switches but in doing some education I think that I actually need to have the ws-c3550-24-emi to do rouing between my vlans. Is this correct?

7 Replies 7

efrahim
Level 4
Level 4

yes, you are correct. same hardware, just need to upgrade the software..

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For basic VLAN routing, static routes and RIP, SMI image is good enough. Refer to the following Q & A

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_qanda_item09186a00800913d3.shtml

Thanks! That answered my question. But on futher investigation I have another question. If this 3550 is connected to another layer 3 device such as a router or pix should I still use the 3550 to route my vlan or should I use the router?

if that layer 3 devices is in the same then 3550 doesn;t have to do anything but if the 3550 is connected to the router/pix in different vlan or connected to 3550 as layer 3 port, then 3550 has to route which it can done by creating interface vlan and use static routes or routing protocol to route to non-directly connected switches.

I had someone try to tell me there are security conecerns with having this layer3 switch connected to my core router and aslo using it to router between my vlans. I didn't see it as a concern. I think you asnswered my question.

Thanks,

Todd.

According to documentation off the Cisco site I'm reading I need the EMI software to route between VLAN's. I need to be able to create SVI's and the SMI software does not allow this. Can someone please clarify this for me.

Thanks,

Todd.

I don't know if you can create SVI's with the SMI image or not, but what about creating standard layer-3 interfaces as per this link: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008014f34f.html#1027861

Does that work?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: