Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Does WS-X4013 supports Layer 3?

Hi,

i have got Catalyst 4506 switch which has got WS-x4013 sup II, does it support layer 3?

6 REPLIES
Purple

Re: Does WS-X4013 supports Layer 3?

No , layer 2 only , you need at least a Sup II+ to get any kind of layer 3 functionality...

Hi Anand,

4013 is a sup 2 module and it has CATOS so it will not support any routing but you can install 4232 L3 blade for layer 3 routing or you can upgrade your supervisor engine to sup2+ and above

Have a look at this link for more details on 4232 L3 blade

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/inst_nts/78_10164.htm#24106

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

Thanks ankur,

4506 provided by vendor (as standby) says that its a L3 device, i tried prooving that, but he is not accepting, now i hav got the proof in cisco discussion form.ultimately we need to configure o hav l3 module for inter-vlan routing. now this standby 4506 is nothing but a l2 switch. am i right?

so when ever you are talking about intervlan routing then you need to have layer 3 support so for intervlan routing you need to have layer 3 module...

Hi Anand,

4506 is just a chassis but the module which is inserted as a sup engine can decide whether it will work as layer 2 or layer 3.

Now in same chassis if you insert WS-x4013 sup II which u are having it is a pure layer 2 switch but if you insert a sup like WS-x4013+ it will behave a layer 3 switch.

The sup which you are having WS-x4013 sup II is a pure layer 2 sup and if you want to have layer 3 functionality with same sup you have to insert a seperate layer 3 module which is 4232 L3 blade to perform layer 3 functionality.

I will appreciate if you rate the post.

Ankur

Thanks Ankuar & Devang

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content