Views
Helpful
Replies

Does WS-X4013 supports Layer 3?

anand
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have got Catalyst 4506 switch which has got WS-x4013 sup II, does it support layer 3?

6 Replies 6

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No , layer 2 only , you need at least a Sup II+ to get any kind of layer 3 functionality...

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Anand,

4013 is a sup 2 module and it has CATOS so it will not support any routing but you can install 4232 L3 blade for layer 3 routing or you can upgrade your supervisor engine to sup2+ and above

Have a look at this link for more details on 4232 L3 blade

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/inst_nts/78_10164.htm#24106

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

Thanks ankur,

4506 provided by vendor (as standby) says that its a L3 device, i tried prooving that, but he is not accepting, now i hav got the proof in cisco discussion form.ultimately we need to configure o hav l3 module for inter-vlan routing. now this standby 4506 is nothing but a l2 switch. am i right?

so when ever you are talking about intervlan routing then you need to have layer 3 support so for intervlan routing you need to have layer 3 module...

Hi Anand,

4506 is just a chassis but the module which is inserted as a sup engine can decide whether it will work as layer 2 or layer 3.

Now in same chassis if you insert WS-x4013 sup II which u are having it is a pure layer 2 switch but if you insert a sup like WS-x4013+ it will behave a layer 3 switch.

The sup which you are having WS-x4013 sup II is a pure layer 2 sup and if you want to have layer 3 functionality with same sup you have to insert a seperate layer 3 module which is 4232 L3 blade to perform layer 3 functionality.

I will appreciate if you rate the post.

Ankur

Thanks Ankuar & Devang