Views
Helpful
Replies

Doubt on proposed network scenario

ahvn
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I have a Cisco 2600 series router and 2 Nos Cisco 77h adsl router . I have 2 mbps bandwidth terminating on my Cisco 2600 router which has only NM 4T module in that and 2 ethernet ports and now I need to integrate the 2 77h adsl router to my network and give a WAN link to my customer premise.

I want to know whether it is possible for me to connect Cisco 77h adsl router to my Cisco 2600 ethernet port and then connect the second 77h adsl router on the other side to the adsl router on my side to provide WAN connection to the customer premise. I have gone through a lot of information regarding 77h adsl router in the cisco site but could not come to a conclusion regarding what solution I can provide.

Is a connection as below possible

Cisco 2600 ( e0)-----Cisco 77h adsl( line)------( WAN )--------( line )Cisco 77h adsl( eth0)-----Customer LAN.

Kindly guide me further on what should I do for the WAN connectivity integrating the above mentioned scenario.

Thanks in advance,

Homin

4 Replies 4

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Of course you can connect like this. You might want to either use static default routing at customer router (77h) to send all traffic back to your lan. Or else you can run a routing protocol instead.

Are those adsl links connected throught the internet ??? Or are they in a private wan, provided by the same ISP. If its over the internet, (if both adsl links) are over the internet, you need to configure ipsec to protect your traffic from customer premise to your lan.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.We are an ISP and I am trying to give the connectivity to the customer premise. The adsl links are not connected through the internet,it is the next hop. My doubt is that do I need line drivers or modems in between to drive the signals as I was proposing to connect 77h adsl router back to back. Do we need anything in between or can I move forward with the existing idea.

Homin

If I am understanding, you do not have DSL between the two sites.....you just have copper and wish to offer the customer DSL service?

If this is the case, you idea will not work......you need a Digital Subscriber LIne Access Multiplier (DSLAM). This is a device that can terminate DSL lines and bring them onto your network.......they are quite expensive and generally made to aggregate many customers, so I don't think it would be a cost effective solution for just one customer.

How far away is the customer from your 2600?

Hi,

This is exactly what I was trying to do.We just have copper and I am trying to give the connectivity by connecting 77h adsl back to back.I know that the set-up needs DSLAM but I was trying to know whether there is anyway of providing the connecitvity connecting the two routers back to back.The customer is approx. 4 Kms away.

Kindly tell me whether there is anyway giving the connectivity without DSLAM using the adsl router.

Homin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: