cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

download ios from tftp server

rodneyw
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to download ios for a cisco 2600 router from a tftp server. When the router is started it boots to rommon. I set the system variables ip_address, ip_subnet_mask, default_gateway, tftp_server, tftp_file and set confreg to 0x2102. start tftdnld but it keeps timeing out. I know the tftp server works I can download files from a workstation. The tftp server is on a laptop that I'm also connected to the router console. any ideas Thanks RD

4 Replies 4

devam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a question,

As per your sentence, I am understanding that you are connecting the TFTP server to console. Is it correct?

TFTP server should be connected to Ethernet or Token ring network. Normally the server will be placed in the same subnet of Router's ethernet interface. But if you had configured Default gateway you can place the TFTP server in any other subnet.

You have to configure the boot system commands to load IOS from TFTP server.

If you need more information, please let me know.

Thank you.

Murthy.

Murhty,

Thanks for your response it was good info. The point I was trying to make was the Laptop was connected via ethernet and also the console (which wasn't very clear). I wasn't sure if that was allowed but now know it works fine. I found the answer to my question late yesterday in the cisco knowledge base. I failed to sync the monitor with nvram before starting download. After resetting and re-entering the variables and then sync it worked great.

Thanks for your help

RD

rodneyw
Level 1
Level 1

The answer to this question can be found in the cisco knowledge base by searching on "rommon"

closed