Views
Helpful
Replies

DRAM placement in 2610 series routers.

pradeep.s
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I have a question regarding the DRAM populated in 2610 series router. There are twenty online 2610 routers in one of my customer place. They need to upgrade the IOS from existing 12.0 to 12.2T.

The FLASH and DRAM requirement for 12.2T (FLASH 16MB) and (DRAM 64MB). With respect to motherboard architecture there are two DRAM DIMM Slots and one FLASH SIMM Slot.

Out of twenty, Ten 2610 routers have 24 MB DRAM and other Ten have 32 MB DRAM. Now the question is How do I know how the 32 MB DRAM filled in the two slots. There is know problem with 24 MB DRAM as I would go with a New 64 MB DRAM DIMM, but How efficiently can I use existing 32 MB DRAM, so that I need to purchase only additional 32 MB DRAM to make it 64 MB.

Need your Help.

regard,

Pradeep

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can verify that by opening a chassis. Not sure any software command can verify that for you. If you want to have 64MB DRAM then you need two SIMM of 32MB each. now if you have one 32MB simm already then you just need to buy another 32MB simm.

Here is the doc which talks about that with part numbers etc

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_mod/cis2600/cnfgnote/2600mem.htm

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can verify that by opening a chassis. Not sure any software command can verify that for you. If you want to have 64MB DRAM then you need two SIMM of 32MB each. now if you have one 32MB simm already then you just need to buy another 32MB simm.

Here is the doc which talks about that with part numbers etc

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_mod/cis2600/cnfgnote/2600mem.htm

Thank you for your response, I have opened two 2610 router and it had a 32 MB DRAM, Only one 32 MB DRAM DIMM was populated and the another DIMM slot was free. Now Can I assume that all other remaing 2610 routers having 32 MB DRAM are filled in the same fashion (only one slot occupied)

Need your suggestions.

regards,

Pradeep

I dont think there is a 64mb stick for the old 2600s. 64mb is the max allowed. You have to use two 32s so the 24mb sticks you have are trash ( or an EBAY commodity).

usually the stick configuration depends on where the routers came from. Orders form Cisco factory usually come with the largests sticks to meet the spec; ie. you order 32mb, you get one 32mb stick and on empty slot. Resellers go cheaper, especially if they already have a 24mb router in stock. (That was the minimum for the 2600.) They might replace an 8 with a 16 to give you 32.

YES..Pradeep..you should be able to buy one more 32MB each (the link earlier has part numbers) and use it with the alreay installed 32MB to get total 64MB.