Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

DS3 Switch (Rate Converter) 10/100BaseTX to DS3

Does anybody have any recommendations for DS3 switches for LAN-to-LAN applications. I am looking for switches that send unframed or framed packets over DS3 to connect our sites using Layer 2 technology.

Ethernet Switch ------ DS3 Switch/Converter ----WAN---- DS3 Switch/Converter ------ Ethernet Switch

Thanks!

5 REPLIES

Re: DS3 Switch (Rate Converter) 10/100BaseTX to DS3

What about using a Cisco router with a DS-3 and Ethernet interface with IRB on both ends?

-Joe

I will throw this out there as a possibility. I started some research into this same solution at one point in time, but project changed and did not finish the research. It may be a viable solution for you.

Cat 6000 with Flexwan module and a DS3 port adapter doing Packet Over SONET (POS)

If it is not a local SONET, but rather a straight DS3 from your local service provider, PA-T3+ and try bridging traffic across the link. ( i did not get very far into reseaching this configuration at all...)

HTH

I have seen implementations in India wherein E3 link terminates on CAT6509 Fastethernet port. It goes like this:

cat 6509(fa0/0) --- UTP/Fiber Converter---Fiber media for WAN---UTP/Fiber Converter--cat6509(fa0/0)

I know this post is a little old, did you implement this that you recommeded? is it working ok? I have the same setup with two 3640's hssi int and IRB across a DS3 but having problems with utilization.

As far as I know the only two products out there for this are the one from DS3switch.com and the one from RAD data. We're using the one from DS3Switch.

Simon

Views
Helpful
Replies