cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DTP Frames generate by a port in “access mode”

zillah2004
Level 1
Level 1

Dynamic Trunking Protocol (DTP), as the name implies is the protocol used to automatically negotiate a trunk link.

For example, SwitchA and SwitchB are connected on their FastEthernet 0/1 interfaces. If both switches are set to access mode, then the link is a non-trunking link. Both interfaces must be on the same VLAN and only that single VLAN is transmitted across the link.

Since the command “switch mode access” Set trunking off.

Does a port which is in “switch access mode” generate DTP frames ?

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/476/switchmodeaccess0lq.jpg

4 Replies 4

leonvd79
Level 4
Level 4

Hello zillah,

If the switchport is configured not to transform in a trunk with the "switchport mode access" command, DTP negotiation is turned off.

To stop DTP negotioation on a trunk use the "switchport nonegotiate" command.

--Leon

Thanks Leon.

((If the switchport is configured not to transform in a trunk with the "switchport mode access" command, DTP negotiation is turned off)).

My understanding is like what you have explained in the quote above, but if you read the cisco document that I have posted in the link, I feel (Not sure) it is different!!!

hi Aillah,

your link is indicating like

this command puts the interface (access port) into permanent nontrunking mode and negotiates to

convert the link into a nontrunk link. The interface becomes a nontrunk interface

regardless of whether or not the neighboring interface is a trunk interface.

hope this will help you

please rate the post if it helps.

regards

Devang

In the absence of the "switchport nonegotiate" command, which can be used in with access and trunk mode the switchport continues to send DTP frames.

--Leon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: