Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Dual core 6509/sup720b/PFC3/MSFC3 etherchannel with downstream 2950

I have 2 core 6509/SUP720b/PFC3/MSFC3 which are etherchannel attached. Due to budgetary restraints, we have no distribution layer and access switch trunk(2950, 3500xls) dual uplinks that are attached one to each 6509. Is it possible to form a etherchannel between the 2950 and the uplinks on seperate 6509 core switches. I have not tested it yet but wanted to know has anyone tested this configuration or using it in production?

1 REPLY

Re: Dual core 6509/sup720b/PFC3/MSFC3 etherchannel with downstre

No, etherchannel which is combining two or more ports to form a single logical port must terminate to a single switch. For example, switch A have gig 1 and 2 and each port connects to switch B and Switch C, you cannot create channel on switch to combine gig 1 and 2 because the ports does not connect to the same single switch. It is not allowed and it will not work. However, if you have four links from switch A, ports 1,2,3, and 4, where ports 1 and 2 connects to switch B and ports 3 and 4 connects to switch c, then you can create a channel combining 1 and 2 to swtich B and a separate channel combining 3 and 4 to switch C.

I hope that clears that up answered your question,

Please rate helpful posts.

Please rate helpful posts.

Views
Helpful
Replies