cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual Sup Engine 1a's

chrish
Level 1
Level 1

A client has 2 6509's with dual Sup 1a's. Documentation shows they are in slots 5 and 6. Is this possible and what functionality is lost if so? Will failover function? Do 1a's function in SRM? Do they support NSF?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Chris,

They will _not_ work in slots 5 and 6.

Is the documentation you are referring to Cisco documentation? If so, could you point me to it so that I can have this error fixed?

thanks,

Bobby

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Bobby Thekkekandam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Chris,

Sup1As only go in slots 1 and 2. Only the Sup720 and the Sup32 go in slots 5 and 6 in a 6509.

Sup1As do support SRM if an MSFC1 or MSFC2 with a minimum of 12.1(8a)E4 IOS is installed.

NSF/SSO is not supported on this supervisor.

See the following document for more on supervisor redundancy and requirements:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00800a2cee.shtml

HTH,

Bobby

*Please rate helpful posts

Thanks for the reply. I realize that the 1A's SHOULD be in slots 1 and 2 I would like to know is it possible for them to function in 5 and 6 at all(hence is my documentation showing them in 5 and 6 reliable). My belief is that they would function but with no redundancy(so one of them would function). Would there be a bandwidth impact (I think so) is there any other issue I am not aware of?

Hi Chris,

They will _not_ work in slots 5 and 6.

Is the documentation you are referring to Cisco documentation? If so, could you point me to it so that I can have this error fixed?

thanks,

Bobby

No,I was referring to a Visio drawing of a system we are having problems with. I subsequently learned they were not 1A's as the drawing showed but 720's (and thus in the right slots). I was also informed that the cards are keyed so they wouldn't physically fit in the incorrect slots.

I should have figured that.

Thanks for your help!