Views
Helpful
Replies

Duplex mismatch between Unix servers and Cat5500

daniel.bowen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

when we have a power down on our Cat5500, all the Unix servers connected to its FE line cards reset the duplex and speed settings to 100mb half duplex stopping them working. I have to manually change the settings to full duplex, then set it to auto for it to negotiate 100mb full. This doesn't happen on any other servers, just on the Unix boxes running Solaris.

Any help would be great

Daniel,

5 Replies 5

MickPhelps
Level 1
Level 1

Why can't you hardcode both sides to 100/full in the saved configurations?

Mick.

here is only one configuration isn't there, there is no running/startup there is just config. I make the change to the config, but when the switch reboots it autonegotiates back to half !

Thanks,

You must have the ports set as auto . If they are hardcoded they cannot default back to half duplex . On a 5500 do a set port speed slot/port 100 , set port duplex slot/port full . This cannot default back to half duplex , you must have the ports set for autonegotiation for speed and duplex . My guess is the unix servers are harcoded and you have the switch set for auto . A switch can sense speed but cannot sense duplex unless both ends are set for auto so it will default to half duplex by rule .

rfroom
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please see www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/46.html for known issues

cz96p6
Level 1
Level 1

You might want to ask your Unix Administrator to hardcode the NIC speed to 100/full and than hardcode the Catalyst port speed to 100/full as well. You should not have this problem anymore.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: