cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Duplicated packets in multicast network

borek
Level 1
Level 1

I have a test network of 7 routers; 4 of them are connected over Frame Relay hub-and-spoke topology (using PtP links) and other links are serials and ethernets. I have enabled PIM sparse-dense mode on all interfaces and configured static rendez-vous point (with ip pim rp-address) on all routers. I have one server with 'ip igmp join' on loopback interface and test with ping. What happens, that ping from some routers provokes multiple responses:

R1-7206#ping 224.0.10.11

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 1, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 224.0.10.11, timeout is 2 seconds:

Reply to request 0 from 20.0.1.2, 96 ms

Reply to request 0 from 20.0.1.2, 200 ms

Reply to request 0 from 20.0.1.2, 200 ms

Reply to request 0 from 20.0.1.2, 196 ms

Note the first packet having substantially shorter response time. This seems to happen when packets cross the FR part of the network. Anyone knows what could cause such duplicating of the packets? It seems that multicast packets get duplicated along their way to the receiver that then sends response to each duplicate it gets.

2 Replies 2

ivillegas
Level 6
Level 6

It is better to use PIM - Sparse mode rather than PIM-Dense mode. And also instead of the command ip igmp join-group, you can use 'igmp static-group'.

seilsz
Level 4
Level 4

borek -

Do you have the 'ip pim rp-address' command configured on the RP itself?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco