Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Dynamic Vlans

Greetings,

we have a small switching environment. Only two 3500Xls and a 3550. We would like to configure some sort of dynamic vlan membership based on MAC address. It seems that VMPS Command can only be implemented on a larger switch. Is there a way of doing this (dynamic VLANs) in a small environment such as ours?

any thoughts are welcome -

thanks,

William

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
4 REPLIES

Re: Dynamic Vlans

Hi

I dnot think so that u can go for dynamic vlans with this platfrom.

U need atleast cat 6500 series for VMPS support

Thanks

Mahmood

you can configure your system with external vmps server:

vmps serve a.a.a.a

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_command_reference_chapter09186a008041b41d.html#wp1024885

Don't forget to remove interface fasthetnet on dynamic vlan .

intefast 0/1

switchport access vlan dynamic

please, don't forget to rate this post.

Regards.

stephtchoko,

thanks for your response. I do understand how to configure the VMPS server, unfortunately in my environment we have no switch which can act as a VMPS Command switch (which acts as the VMPS server to the VMPS client switches). My actual question is whether anyone has suggestions as to how I could implement a dynamic vlan solution in this environment with only these three switches perhaps using radius or some sort of third party tool. any ideas anyone?

thanks,

William

Mahmood,

thanks for your response. actually according to this document

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_tech_note09186a00800c4548.shtml

VMPS Command support is also available with the 4000/5000 series catalysts.

thanks,

William

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.