Cisco Support Community
Community Member

E1 module

1. I have one 3640 router with NM-1FE2CE1B module i need to connect E1 lease line . do i need csu/dsu (e1 modem) to connect if yes what should the modem type and interface.

may i connect serial port with e1 modem(g.703 with v.35 interface) directly if yes then what is the use of NM-1FE2CE1B module?

2. what is the use virtual-token-ring ? when it is used and what is the practical usage ?

Re: E1 module

for 1. - the NM1FE2CE1B is a channelized E1 card, you can connect this to a G.704 E1 line (using the right connectors), no csu dsu required. G.703 is not supported on this NM

Community Member

but this is having 15 pin connector so what cable i have to use,

should i use db15 - rj45 cable ?

Community Member

Dear Anil ,

1. Your modem usage depends on the backbone you r having.If you have a OFC backbone you need not have a csu/dsu and if you have a normal copper backbone you need to have 2 E1 G703 modems ( one at your premises and other at your nearest exchange). NM FE2CE1B module is channelised E1 ,you certainly need a G703 modem at your premises in case you have copper backbone to make it E1 compatible.

2. Token ring is a LAN protocol like ethernet ,which uses token passing as the technology in place of CSMA/CD of ethernet.Virtual-ring is a logical ring which helps the communication of one to any, any to any or any to one architechture of token ring networks.

Community Member

This module is channelized E1 support g.704 so what modem is appropriate for this scenrio? this module is having db 15 connector so what connector should i have for modem connection.

Maybe you can use RAD Modem with G.703/4 25 pin connector. But one thing that you have to confirm is choice RAD modem with Speed until E1.

CreatePlease to create content