Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Easy RIP update question for the BrainTrust's

For whatever reason I have having a mental block on this one, so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Remote Site

Standard 2621 router - Frame-relay T1 with multiple PVC's out to our central dist points. Receives RIP updates and gets default routes and such via RIP. I have a site or two, that when the serial link goes down, it will loose the default route. Then when the site comes back up, it no longer has the default route in the table. When I do a sho ip route - it show the gateway of last resort not set. And I can not ping anything that doesn't have a static route set on the router. As soon as I Clear ip route * - it defines the gateway of last resort and everything starts working fine.

What setting do I need to define so that it will update the Gateway of Last Resort automatically once the link is restored?

thanks,

dan

1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: Easy RIP update question for the BrainTrust's

If you get default routes from the other end when the link is normally up, you should get the route automatically when the link goes down and comes back again. If you are not getting the routes, turn on 'debug ip rip' and see whether the default route is being sent and received properly by the respective routers. If you are getting updates, but not installing them in the routing table, check the details of the received route like metric and find out why it is not getting installed. Also, look for split-horizon issues if you are using Frame-relay or ATM. If there is nothing wrong with the configuration, and if you have access to Bug toolkit on CCO, you can find if there are any known issues in the IOS release that you are using.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content