Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

effect on switchports of changing vtp domain

I have three switches in a single VTP domain (I actually have lots but 3 will be for this example) A and B are vtp servers C is a client.

I creat a VLAN100 on one switch A, this is propagated to the other switches. I set a port on C to be in VLAN100. I them put switch B and C in a new VTP domain and create VLAN100 in this domain.

Question - Does the switchport on switch C continue to operate on the new VLAN100 within the new VTP domain?

3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: effect on switchports of changing vtp domain

VTP advertise only over trunk link, so if you set a switchport to access, it will not advertsie VTP messages.

If you have VLAN 100 in the new VTP domain the port on C will work as before (tagging with VLAN 100 if not native vlan)

Bye

FCS

Rate me if I helped

Silver

Thanks for the post, I have looked at this and a number of other cases where people are trying to bring two VTP domains together. In these cases the VTP sync works. What I am trying to do is break a single vtp domain into several smaller ones with layer 3 links (rather than layer 2 trunks) between them. To keep my users downtime to a minimum I would like to preconfigure as much as possible, i.e. create the VLAN's and set the switchports, then change the VTP domain. Does a VLAN have a "magic number" which is specific to a VTP domain or will the VLAN port config work properly on the new domain.

It could be that I am being overly concerned here and that everything will "just work" but I have 600 users, data and voice, who will be down if it goes wrong!!

Views
Helpful
Replies