cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

eigrp and static routes

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

If im running eigrp on my router between my 2 networks, but have a default route pointing to another network, will it use the default route for everything, or will it still use eigrp for the advertised networks as its more specific, also we have a default route redistributed from our other site, will the router use this route from eigrp or use the static one configured ?

cheers

9 Replies 9

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Default route will be used as last resort, routes that are not part of the EIGRP routing topology.

If you are redistributing a default route from another site, and your local router has a static route already configured, it will use the static route.

Please rate this post if it helped.

Hi there, thanks for that, basically my other site redistributes alot of other routes via eigrp, will this all be installed in the routing table in my remote router ? and will it definetly use the static default route on the remote router not the resdistributed one ?

If you are running on the same AS and you don't have ACLs or Distribution List, all routes should be installed.

However, if you have any static routes with the same and longer mask, it will override any EIGRP learned route.

m-haddad
Level 5
Level 5

The router will use the most specific routes. Default route is consider last resort route. Which means, if the router can't match any route to the destination in the routing table it uses the last resort which is the default route. Moreover, even if you have a default route on another site it won't be ditributed via eigrp UNLESS you use the default-information orignate under the EIGRP proccess.

Hope this explains your question,

default-information originate is for OSPF and BGP, with EIGRP you can redistribute the default route with redistribute static command.

You're right, I thought he was running OSPF.

Thanks,

ariazk
Level 1
Level 1

(1) Default route is used for destinations that are not in the routing table.

(2) Default static route is preferred for all destination not have a route in routing table, if its not desired route, increase AD of default static route.

Hi there, thanks for that, basically my other site redistributes alot of other routes via eigrp, will this all be installed in the routing table in my remote router ? and will it definetly use the static default route on the remote router not the resdistributed one ?

if eigrp routes are pointing to default network they will not be installed coz static default route have higher preference in routing table but if these routes pointing to specific destination and there is no static route for that destination in the routing table, then EIGRP installed the best route for that destination in routing table

check following link

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/iprouting/chapter/ch04.html#29658

cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: