cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Autonomous Systems

edstacey
Level 1
Level 1

In a network that has LAN and WAN links with EIGRP as the routing protocol, is it best practice to have a separate Autonomous System for the LAN (LAN devices with L3 capability) and a separate Autonomous System for the WAN where there are 20 WAN connections? If so, what are the benefits? Currently, all sites (LAN and WAN) have a single Autonomous System.

5 Replies 5

srittenberg
Level 1
Level 1

I do not see the benefit of doing so. It's best to create a backbone VLAN that WAN is also belong to. Sperate the LAN from WAN and the backbone VLAN via none-backbone VLAN. Turn all vlan interface passive except the backbone vlan interface. It's much cleaner this way, and protect the LAN (VLANs) from getting too much backbone broadcast. Does this make sense to you?

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

No. Don't do this. :-) You don't gain any advantage at all, and you make the network much harder to troubleshoot and maintain in the long run. Summarization and other forms of information hiding are the keys to eigrp scaling--come to networkers and go to the eigrp deployment talk. :-)

Russ

Where is this forum Russ ... I have a growing eigrp network.

Regards

Well, the ones I'm speaking at are in the US--I'm assuming (from your address) that you'd be looking for the european ones. Try:

htpp://www.cisco.com/networkers/

for the list.

:-)

Russ

srittenberg
Level 1
Level 1

I would not recommend this. I do not beleive you will get benefit out of it, but you will get much trouble to manage it if you do use multiple AS. We have many VLANs too and many WAN sites (over 60). We also use EIGRP, single AS.

Russ

Do you know when the Networkers session schedule be published? I sign up for it, but want to plan the time, specially on the Monday Power sessions. It would be good to know if they are in the morning or in the afternoon (in CA). Thanks