Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

eigrp bandwidth command

Hi all, can anyone tell me what this achieves by amending this ? could I use this to make stop 2 links load balancing etc ? Also if I plug a 2 meg line into my serial, does this serial interface know what speed it is ?

6 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: eigrp bandwidth command

Hi Carl,

Are you referring to the generic interface "bandwidth" command or the "ip bandwidth-percent eigrp" command?

The bandwidth command sets an informational parameter to communicate only the current bandwidth to the higher-level protocols; you cannot adjust the actual bandwidth of an interface using this command.

By default, EIGRP packets consume a maximum of 50 percent of the link bandwidth, as configured with the bandwidth interface configuration command. You might want to change that value if a different level of link utilization is required or if the configured bandwidth does not match the actual link bandwidth (it may have been configured to influence route metric calculations).

HTH,

Bobby

*Please rate helpful posts.

I thought this just old routing protocols the bandwidth so you could manipulate it ?

Gold

You are correct the bandwidth statement can be manupulated to change the metrics on routing protocols. Many people used to use this method to

change the path selection.

It still works the same and has no effect on the hardware interface.

The reason you want this set correctly is many newer software features are starting to use this. The QoS is the best example.

For EIGRP you probable should use delay to influence your path selection.

can you change the delay on an interface ? but I guess you wouldnt need to change this anyway ?

Gold

The command is delay under a interface. I think it is only used by eigrp. You are better off leaving it alone but if you need to affect the selection of paths in EIGRP it is much better to change delay than bandwidth.

do most people change the bandwidth to change the link path ?

Views
Helpful
Replies