cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

eigrp hold timer question

bclarke-taylor
Level 1
Level 1

Which show cmd can tell me what the eigrp hello and eigrp hold timers are set to. That can be for an interface or the entire router?

Thanks

Benjamin

3 Replies 3

Faraz Shamim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

sh ip eigrp neighbor command will tell you the hold time. I don't think there is a command to see the hello interval but the formula is that T1 speed or greater will have hello interval of 5 seconds and less than T1 will have hello interval of 60 seconds. The hold interval by default is 3 times hello interval. To change these values you can go at the interface level command:

for hellos:

ip hello-interval eigrp

for hold:

ip hold-time eigrp

These commands will change the hello/hold per interface. Note, to see the hold interval you would have to go on the other side because when you configure the hold interval on the interface this is what gets used by the neighbor.

Hope it helps

A couple of clarifications

1. With the show ip eigrp neighbor command it seems to show you the time remaining before the hold timer expires and not the max value. Is there any show command that reveals this information. I've looked everwhere for it, I would have explected that a show ip protocols would've had the hello and hold information. I've looked through the available debug options and it seems that the holdtime is an implicit value. The only way it seems to be possible is by debugging the hello packet itself - that sounds like fun.

2. Is it possible to change the hold time by altering the hello time? (I've debugged this and the results indicate that changing the hello time does not alter the hold time). Finally, does this mean there is no way to alter the hold time except for the ip hold-time eigrp comand.

Thanks again

Benjamin

Hi

The normal hold time is 3 times the hello, however you can change this on a per interface basis with "ip hold-time eigrp process xxxx" and hello-timers can be set on a per-interface basis etc...

Here is an example:

interface Vlan2

ip address 20.20.20.1 255.255.255.0

ip bandwidth-percent eigrp 100 40

ip hold-time eigrp 100 60

ip hello-interval eigrp 100 20

mls rp vtp-domain test

mls rp ip