Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

EIGRP in a NBMA hub and spoke configuration ?

Hi,

Is there a way to configure EIGRP for a Frame Relay NBMA network using a hub and spoke topology ?

I'm curious that I cannot find any config examples for this, whereas with OSPF in this environment there are plenty of examples.

I'm wondering if EIGRP being a distance-vector protocol this shouldn't be attempted.

PS: I've been at this all day and have only managed to get EIGRP to work in one cofiguration and that was using physical interfaces on all routers and switching off split horizon at the hub router. I used frame-relay map statements with broadcast enabled also.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil.

3 REPLIES

Re: EIGRP in a NBMA hub and spoke configuration ?

Phil,

Can youfurnish configs? Here is a link that should help on EIGRP configuration.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800d97f8.html

Please rate if post helps

hi phil,,,

here is the configuration for the HUB router

! hostname ABC

!

interface Ethernet1

ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

!

interface Serial0

no ip address

encapsulation frame relay

no ip mroute cache

!

interface Serial0.1 multipoint

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

no ip split horizon eigrp 2001 Split Horizons disabled

bandwidth 112 Bandwidth set to the sum of the remote PVCs

frame relay map ip 192.168.1.5 110 broadcast

frame relay map ip 192.168.1.6 130 broadcast

router eigrp 2001 EIGRP routing process

network 192.168.1.0 Networks running EIGRP

you can have appropriate IP addressing as per your design...

you can have some easy configuration at spoke side with compere to HUB router....

regards

Devang

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Phil

I believe that there are not as many examples about EIGRP NBMA as there are OSPF because EIGRP does not have nearly as many knobs to tweak to accomplish this as OSPF does.

You should be able to do this with physical interfaces as you mentioned or with multipoint subinterfaces as Devang shows. They should both work. The essential aspect of this is that you must disable split horizon on the hub. And of course you need to be careful with the frame relay maps to be sure that you get the right connectivity (especially hub to hub).

While I believe that Frame Relay NBMA is never the optimum solution you should be able to get it to work with both OPF and with EIGRP.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content