Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EIGRP Load balancing

Hi

I am looking to put 2 ethernet cards in my router on the LAN and route between it and other routers on the LAN. There will also be a lot of HSRP on the LAN. Basically I would rather than load balance across the LAN, manually specify a perferred route. I have thought of using bw or even the distance command. I basically want to do this in a way that the feasible successors remain in the topology table. I am currently researching and testing this but would appreciate advice on the best way to go here. In the event of one link failing, I want there to be a transparent shift over to another route and no impact on the WAN stability.

Best regards

4 REPLIES

Re: EIGRP Load balancing

Hi Karl, still busy designing networks?

You must be rated in the top ten of questioneers!

I suppose your WAN is behind this router?

In that case loadbalancing would be my choice to establish redundancy as described. EIGRP will take care of failovers, and there will hardly be any impact on the WAN. (As long as the router remains up.) On the LAN-side, do not configure one of these interfaces as default gw and it works.

Hi Leo

Thanks for your post ... I am definitely busy at the mo, not enough hours in the day unfortunately.

My scenario is two 3550's in the dist layer and two routers plugged into vlans 7 and 8. This is my WAN block. In each router, is an ethernet card going to each vlan. These wan routers will see two routes through the 3550's. Is load balancing the best way to go for sure, will there be any issues of packets arriving out of order with load bal. If I was to decide against load balancing due to traffic patterns, I would adjust the bw statement, I have had a look at the delay adjustment option but I dont think it would work here. Do you aggree.

Best regards

Don't understand much about your requirement but I found a good link on CCO in relation to changing metric on EIGRP. Hope this help. http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/103/14.shtml

thanks for reply

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content