cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP neighbor was not established

frank
Level 1
Level 1

Why R1 see R2 as its neighbor but R2 is not seeing R1 when I do show ip eigrp nei?

The RTO is 5000 from R1, neighbors can ping each other.

They are 1601 running 12.0(3)T IOS.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The fact that R2 is not seeing R1 as a neighbor is right since it doesn't received the multicast hello from R1.

Is the link between R1 and R2 Frame-Relay and is it possible that you are missing the "broadcast" keyword on the "frame-relay map ip " statement on R1?

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Any ACL involved?

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

NO ACL involved.

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

Ping 224.0.0.10, and see if you get a response from the neighbor that won't come up (from both routers). I'll bet the RTO is also 0, which means the two routers aren't talking to each other at all. You could try a debug ip eigrp neighbor, and see what that tells you....

Have you tried to ping with a range of sizes, to see if the problem is a mismatched mtu, as well? To do this, just type in ping, and hit return. Tell it only to send one packet (the default is 5), and put in your ip address at the right prompts. When it gets to extended commands, type in "y," and there should be an option for "sweep range of sizes," or something like that. Say "y," then put in 100 bytes as the smallest, and the local mtu as the max. See if all the pings go through. Do this from both sides.

If the MTU is mismatched, the neighors won't form.

:-)

Russ.W

both MTU are the same (1500).

I ping 224.0.0.10 from R1, not sesing R2 response.

But, it I ping 224.0.0.10 from R2, R1 responsed.

However, R2 is the one not seeing neighbor???

Just notice that R1 is running 12(0)5T and R2 is running 12(0)12, should I make them the same? which one I should use?

BTW, R1 RTO is 5000 and SRTT is 0.

Thanks...

The fact that R2 is not seeing R1 as a neighbor is right since it doesn't received the multicast hello from R1.

Is the link between R1 and R2 Frame-Relay and is it possible that you are missing the "broadcast" keyword on the "frame-relay map ip " statement on R1?

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

YES !!! you are right, the R1 was missiing the broadcast keyword, once I add it in, the neighbor is up and exchanging the routes.

Thank you very mush !!!

melkomy
Level 1
Level 1

Are you sure that the 2 routers are on same subnet and have same EIGRP AS number ??

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: