Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

EIGRP neighbors

What is the recommended max number of EIGRP neighbors that a router can comfortably deal with?

3 REPLIES
Gold

Re: EIGRP neighbors

Typical engineering answer, it depends. Specifically on the type of router involved. right now, i have some 75xx's running with 13 neighbors. I don't believe there is a hard and fast rule, its very topology dependent.

Hi,

I have worked with a network, with over a 1000 remote sites. all running EIGRP. Each core 7500 router, (there are many), shares almost, 1/8th of the total number on an approx basis. Still that would come to roughly 120 neighbors. More than the number of neighbors, should be the number of prefixes thats of concern. Mostly if you are using stub remote sites, all those sites, just need a default route injected via EIGRP towards them. All other routes should be filtered using a distribute-list or prefix list.

Still i dont think there is a strict upper limit on the number of EIGRP neighbors you can have. It should ultimately be dependent on CPU resources and memory available.

Gold

Sumamrization and stubs can help a great deal in increasing your neighbor count in eigrp, as well.

Russ

Views
Helpful
Replies