Replies

EIGRP , OSPF and RIP and using "network" command

zillah2004
Level 1
Level 1

With Cisco book Advanced Routing page 268, I found this example:

((( RTA 0/0 connected to RTB S0/0 with network address 10.1.1.0/24

RTA S0/2 connected connected to RTC S0/0 with network address 10.1.2.0/24

RTA S0/3 connected connected to R1 S0/0 with network address 192.168.3.0/24.

RTA(config)router eigrp 2446

RTA(config-router)#network 10.0.0.0

RTA(config-router)#network 192.168.3.0

Note that the single command network 10.0.0.0 enables EIGRP on both S0(10.1.1.0) and S0/2 (10.1.2.0). Like RIP network statements, EIGRP network statements always use a classful network number))).

1- Is there a typo here {Like RIP network statements, EIGRP---etc}, because with EIGRP we can use subnet mask or wild card mask unlike RIP V2 (not like),,,,,Am I right ?.

2- With one and only one "network" statement we might and might not connect more than one interfaces,,,,like in the scenario of the book he used :

RTA(config-router)#network 10.0.0.0 , to connect more than one interfces (S0/0 and S0/1),,,,,and Isn't this the case with both RIB and OSPF ?

2 Replies 2

attrgautam
Level 5
Level 5

1) IF you dont give subnet mask then it is the same as RIP. That is what i guess he is trying to convey. Ofcourse EIGRP is classless.

2) Yes it is the case with RIP and OSPF. With a single network you can connect multiple interfaces.

HTH

(((With a single network you can connect multiple interfaces.))).

Another query about the "network" command or keyword with these IGP protocols,,,,cisco curriculum CCNP1 V3 {9.3.1 Basic BGP configuration} says:

(((The network command is used with IGPs, such as RIP, to determine the interfaces on which to send and receive updates.

The command also indicates which directly connected networks to advertise))).

Won't it be more accurate if he has done it like this :

The network command is used with IGPs, such as RIP, to determine the networks which interfaces belong to

Any correction and comment, thanks