cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP: Packet from ourselves ignored

frank
Level 1
Level 1

What will cause this message from router log?

"EIGRP: Packet from ourselves ignored"

Maybe split-horizon problem?

5 Replies 5

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

This may or may not be an issue , In EIGRP if the router rx's an update with its own IP address it will ignore the update, it may be an issue if you have a RID duplicated . Eigrp uses loopback as the RID on external routes , if you have that RID duplicated in another AS it will ignore this update thinking that this is himself.

The router will take the loopback IP that it was assigned first and keep this RID. If you change the loopback it will still retain the original RID until the box is reloaded .

But, typically, you wouldn't see this message for a duplicate router ID, ratehr you'd see an event log message stating an external is ignored because of a dup router ID. This is generally just a case of dup ip addresses on the same segment (hard to do, since Cisc routers defend their IP addresses through gratuitious arps), or a loopback configured under the eigrp routing process that's not marked as passive.

Russ.W

When I do the "sh ip eigrp nei", all the neighbors are from serial interfaces, and all the serials are setup as /30 address so the "segment" has only 2 IPs and there is no duplicate address.

However, the loopback is not passive... But if it was the case, why I am not seeing those messages from the other routers?

Could it be the IOS related problem?

do a sh ip eigrp events this can help you trace down where this is coming from

Do a show debugs--I'll bet this router has debug eigrp neighbor on, and the rest of the routers don't.

7206F#debug eigrp nei

EIGRP Neighbors debugging is on

7206F#

*Aug 15 11:22:39.536: EIGRP: Packet from ourselves ignored

*Aug 15 11:22:43.880: EIGRP: Packet from ourselves ignored

interface Loopback0

ip address 144.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

!

!

router eigrp 100

network 144.1.0.0

This message isn't hurting anything.