cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

eigrp passive-interface

jsalminen
Level 1
Level 1

What is the difference between using a passive interface and using a VLSM in your (config-router)network statements? I understand the passive-interface will not transmit (only receive) routing protocol packets (correct me if I am wrong). Whereas I could specify a route mask and block out the interfaces I do not wish to have participate in routing packet transmissions.

TIA

2 Replies 2

pbarman
Level 5
Level 5

Exactly, passive interface only receives but donot transmit out interface. But you cannot specific any mask in eigrp network command, moreover the network you specify in the eigrp network command is summarized to classful boundary. So, you may need to use passive-interface in certain scenerios.

Thanks !

After some research I have found that using passive interface for EIGRP blocks transmit AND receive packets. There is a filter of some sort in order to allow receipt of routing packets.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: