Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Eigrp Problem

Hi all,

I recieved error message from my router about eigrp routing problem that is " Neigbor 192.168.1.249 not on common subnet for FastEthernet2/0 (192.168.9.249 255.255.255.0)

network 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.9.0 is my internal network, it have to send hello packet via serial interface then the source address of hello packet will not internal network but it should use ip address of serial interface.

why the router show this messages ?? and how can i resolve this problem

Thanks

3 REPLIES

Re: Eigrp Problem

Hello,

Are you using secondary IP's on the Fa2/0 interface? Are the interfaces within the same Layer 2 broadcast domain (same VLAN) or is there a hub that also provides connectivity between the 2 EIGRP routers?

Basically, you're seeing EIGRP packets inbound on the router interface Fa2/0 which is on the .9.249 network from the neighbor sourcing the .1.249 address.

1) Verify they are configured correctly (e.g. matching physical IP addresses in the same subnet)

2) Check for bridges, hubs, etc, (This may be by design)

Additional information can be found at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080093f09.shtml

Hope this helps.

Regards,

James

Thanks james for reply

my network is basically router connect point-to-point.My router not have any secondary ip address or bridge, switch . I understand how this message come but not sure how it come on my network.

I have attached basic network diagram

Thanks

Hello,

From the design you've presented it doesn't look as though you should be receiving these updates on the FastEthernet interface. You can debug eigrp packet hello - and verify if the router is seeing hello's on that interface.

If the LAN segments don't need to receive EIGRP updates then you can use the passive interface command under the routing protocol.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

James

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content